Wednesday, March 9, 2011

MK's Favorite Photo

DAY 7: Favorite Photo


I knew immediately which photo I wanted to use but in searching the many boxes for it (had to scan it in) I came across a few others to share.


There is a part of me that feels I should actually be posting a picture of Chad (one of my favorites is Chad and his puppy Gretchen -- Chad knows the one) or perhaps one of my children but I love so many pictures of them and couldn't possibly narrow it down.


Instead I am posting a picture of my dad. For my 21st birthday, my father gave me an album he put together of pictures of him through the ages. Starting with his baptism through my high school years. He labeled each picture with a number and provided a guide with the album that described what was going on in the photo. It is a treasured gift.


It holds the following pictures:


My Mom at the piano in 1969 -



My Dad's OCS Graduation Photo in December 1963 -


My Dad getting ready to make his last jump in the Army - Kontum, Vietnam Jan or Feb 1967 -
-


My favorite though is this shot of him taken in Okinawa December 1964 - he had just returned from his first tour in Vietnam -




I am so very proud of my father and his service in the military -
I Love You Dad and Thank You

He was a Special Forces Green Beret and his lone tattoo is the parachute airborne symbol on his upper arm. It is faded and blue now but it always reminds me of how important the military was to him. I look at this picture and think he looks like a total bad-ass!


So I am picking a picture that fills me with pride, love, and a little awe and know that is how my father will love to be remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment