Monday, March 7, 2011

MK's Favorite Quote

DAY 5: Favorite Quote

I feel like quotes are used by those looking for ways to express themselves -- this is not a bad thing but in the same way I find songs to be inspirational or expressions of feelings I have - quotes can do the same.

I went through a very quote filled period of my life -- most of the 90s actually. College and Grad School. Do not know if that is truly relevant or if it speaks to the self searching I was doing at that time. Looking for anything to guide me - move me - show me some meaning.

I have a quote of the day calendar on my desk at work that my mom gives me every year - Wild Words from Wild Woman - not nearly as scandalous as it sounds.

I have two friends (shout out to Britta and Michelle) that communicate via quotes - funny, inspirational, thought provoking, and random. Just have to watch their Facebook posts to see what they have to say that day. I usually can find a thing or two to take away from it.

Random quotes I remember:

A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle...Gloria Steinem

Take time to live,
Take time to love,
Take time to do anything you are thinking of
Take time...
Time rolls on...
Lou Gramm (this is actually from a song - does that count?)

I don't need a diet. I need a tapeworm. ...can't remember

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart... Helen Keller

My most favorite person to quote - Martin Luther King Jr.:
  • Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy to a friend.
  • Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase.
  • Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
  • In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
  • Forgiveness is not an occasional act, it is a constant attitude.
  • Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
  • Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
What an amazing man - genius - I am moved to tears when I hear his I Have A Dream speech...he is beautiful.

However for my favorite quote I must turn to the quote that sees me through it all and it is a Bible verse. I get that Bible verses are easily manipulated and tossed one way or another to seem like one's perspective is right and the other person is wrong. It can be very dangerous to pull a Bible verse out of context and turn it into a mantra. Yet I do pull this one out and let it stand on it's own:

For I know the plans I have for you says the Lord. Plans not full of woe but for you to prosper. Plans for hope and a future.
Jeremiah 29:11

With a promise like this how can I not enjoy my life and not worry about the future -- it is in His hands after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment