Tuesday, March 8, 2011

MK's Fun Fact

DAY 6: A Fun Fact

I am actually a pretty good public speaker. Both my degrees are in communications and I did study public speaking as a part of that but as a side note this discipline is not entirely made up of writing and giving speeches.

I did at one time actually contemplate trying to become a speech writer. I could be the woman behind the words but let someone else take the credit. Its just I am not as skilled at creating the speech as I am at giving it.

Weirdly enough I dread the process of preparing for the speech or play or public display. I am not focused - I procrastinate - nerves - butterflies - I almost hate doing it until...Lights On and ACTION - the wildest thing happens. Something takes over and I am in a different place. I imagine this is what athletes refer to as "The Zone." I am comfortable and calm and do what I need to do with no hesitation.

I did a run thru of my thesis defense with my grad professor chair the morning of my defense. I was distracted and incoherent and seemingly unprepared. That afternoon during my public defense I was polished, concise, and professional. My prof told me later she had a mini panic attack after rehearsal. Because her name was associated with mine and I looked clueless she almost recommended that I not present that day. She said I was a completely different person in my defense - in fact she then asked me to present my research at a conference in Chicago.

So this leads me to my fun fact - While still living in Tulsa, I participated in regional speech competitions and placed first three years in a row - humorous and dramatic prose.

Ok so maybe it isn't a fun fact but it is a random fact that most people do not know about me.

2 comments:

  1. Nice fun fact, MK. I'd never have guessed that of you based on how you always beat yourself up re: writing and conveying your thoughts on the BLOG, comments, etc.

    I hate to speak publicly. Which many find hard to believe. I'm ok if its informal. And I can sort of riff. But if it's a real presentation or program, speech, I hate it and don't think I'm very good at it.

    Why. You know why. I suck in real time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Stu - I think you are a genius in real time - they make the best blog entries.

    ReplyDelete