Thursday, March 3, 2011

MK's Favorite Movie

Day 2: Favorite Movie

I think my dad would say my favorite movie is Gone with the Wind based on an obsession I had in the 8th grade.

My son says my favorite is Star Wars, X-Men 2, and Fantastic 4. I am not really sure why -- probably because he personnally likes those or at least thinks he does. He just told me he thinks I really like Speed Racer too.

My friend Karla thinks it is Titanic because when we were roommates she came home and caught me crying at the end of the movie. Embarrassing and true that I cried but definitely NOT my favorite. She still brings up that incident claiming I am a closet Titanic freak.

Sentimentally, I could select Shakespeare in Love because that was the movie Chad and I saw on our first date.

Chad will tell you my favorites are Legally Blonde and Miss Congeniality.

Movies I stop and watch when they are on TV even though we own the DVDs:
OK – yeah Legally Blonde and Miss Congeniality
50 First Dates
Harry Potter – any of them
True Lies
O Brother Where Art Thou
Princess Bride
Oceans 11
Twister
Lake House

Movies I like a lot but don’t own:
Best In Show
Dogma
Amelie
Stand By Me
The Truman Show
The Last Emperor
The Man in the Moon (before Reese was Reese!)
Johnny Dangerously

Movies I am sad to admit I have not seen:
Usual Suspects
Blind Side
Brokeback Mountain
Momento
It’s a Wonderful Life
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Crash
Rear Window
Little Miss Sunshine
Bad Santa

I can not thank Chad enough for having me sit down and watch Shawshank Redemption. Amazing movie. I would almost put that as my favorite but that would not be fair to him especially since I have not seen it as many times as it deserves to be seen.

What I find intriguing about my lists of seen vs. not seen is how “fluffy” the movies I watch are compared to the list of more cerebral ones I have not. Obviously movies are an escape for me (and the rest of the world) but apparently I don’t want to commit too much brain power to it.

I wish I could have a cool movie like The Big Lebowski or Jamey’s favorite Pulp Fiction but the truth is I have never seen neither.

So I contimplated Bend it Like Beckham as a front runner but I am thinking I just have to suck it up, admit it, and own it - I like cheezy chic flicks especially if they star my female celebrity crush Sandra Bullock.

With a touch of redness in the face, I blush when I will select While You Were Sleeping as my favorite movie. It introduced me to Sandra Bullock and is the epitome of Rom/Com Chic Flick.

While I wish my kids could think I am cooler and enjoy thought provoking cinema, I must be honest and say I am the perfect candidate for any movie starring Julia Roberts, Reese Witherspoon, and of course Sandra Bullock.

I am a sucker for a happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment