Sunday, March 6, 2011

MK's Favorite Book

DAY 4 - Favorite Book

Another easy one for me but you still have to read through a long narrative before we get to it.

I miss reading. At one time in my life, I was never without a book - starting from pretty young like grade-school young. Maybe it is genetic - my Grandma Leonard, my dad, my mom, all avid readers staying up late at night just to get an extra chapter in before bed.

I actually joined a book club in Junior High -- the ten books for penny and buy five more at full price. Don't remember ever paying for the books...hmmm.

I remember in the fourth grade going to the library and checking out three different books on juvenile diabetes -- no clue why but I learned a lot and was a little freaked out by the kids giving themselves insulin shots.

Point is - I loved to read and found anyway possible to do it and I am a little bitter that I have only read one book (Wicked) in the past year. I am not going to turn this into a poor me poor me so sorry to be me I haven't been reading post but I have to say that I am inspired to make it a priority again. I continue to digress...

Childhood favs: Little House series, Chronicles of Narnia, Bridge to Terabithia, Where the Red Fern Grows, Great Brain series, Little Women, Anne of Green Gables series, anything Beverly Cleary or Judy Blume

I really enjoyed American Lit as a teenager - good thing since I had it twice. American Lit was covered as a sophomore at Bishop Kelley in Tulsa and then we moved to KC and it was covered as a junior at Park Hill. So I had classes on the same books twice and I genuinely read most of them twice.

Had British Lit twice too but not as big a a fan -- I think reading Great Expectations soured me. I read that book in the 7th, 8th, 9th, and 12th grade -- enough. When it is the kids turn to read it, I am leaving that all up to Chad.

More favs from the recent years: John Grisham books, Harry Potter series, Memoirs of a Geisha, DaVinci Code & Angels and Demons

I will select To Kill a Mockingbird as my favorite. I read it for the first time between freshman and sophomore year. I pick this one for it's content, for the feelings and thoughts it stirred in my brain, for the fact that I have read it over and over, and for its ability to stick with me now 20+ years after reading it. Images from the book float clear in my mind as if I were there - the courtroom, the tree, the ham costume, all of it.

Time to find that library card.

No comments:

Post a Comment