Monday, March 14, 2011

QPM? or Parent's Priviledge?

It is another day of firsts. Zachary got his first fillings at the dentist.
It has always struck me how empty the place is. They've got this perfectly good lobby chock full of amenities going to waste. Slow day maybe? After several trips there, I've found that it is always that way. Maybe business isn't that great? I started to realize that I am one of the few parents that doesn't go back with their kid. I guess it makes sense- the Plano helicopter moms hovering over their children while every molar is checked. I do it too in other venues; but not during novacaine shots? So- let the guilt pile on... the cold-hearted daddy leaves his kid to find his own way in the pediatric dental world. Did I mention it was his first day to face the drill?
Then again- maybe not.
Z has always gone back there on his own. I think he takes pride in the fact that this is one big kid thing he owns and has to himself. I did ask several times if he wanted me to go... to which he replied, "No, Daddy; I can do this." I am proud of him- all the nurses kept calling him a trooper. He never once complained or griped.

Oh by the way- the nurse kept coming back to give me updates every so often (perhaps perplexed that she couldn't do the play-by play on the scene?!)
So- I will happily sit back and enjoy the custom coffee bar... somebody has to, right?

1 comment:

  1. I send the Boy(s) back on their own when I take them (which is not frequently.) Carter goes back. I also get the, 'you really aren't going to go back with him.' look from the nurses and the chick in the cage (reception.)

    My answer, or joke, which you should use next time is this: I'll stay out here, I want to catch up on Highlights (for children.)

    ReplyDelete