Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Zachary's Office

When we drive down the Dallas North Tollway, Zachary consistently points at the Dillard’s at the Shops of Willow Bend mall and says “That’s my office!” or “That’s my work!” He also calls the Cinemark Theater a castle but that is for another time.
Today, Zachary and I (Chad) were near Willow Bend and had some spare time, so I drove over to Dillard’s.
WE got out, and Z matter-of-factly states, “we’re at my office, Daddy!”
Unlike our usual shopping trips, I let Zachary lead the way to wander around the store. He had full reign to look at whatever he wanted. The only section I did steer him away was from the bridal registry area. Hollilop sticky hands, an urge to grab, and crystal just don’t mix.
We walk into the housewares section. Z was so excited that the Christmas displays were out (it’s mid-October). We proceed to walk through all the kitchen items, with Z claiming all of his ‘new special things’. The sales clerk, amused at all this (and totally bored with stocking), asked to be Zachary’s secretary.
He proceeded through the furniture. I got to sit at Zachary’s desk and on his ‘new special couch’. We saw his ‘new special chair’, his ‘new special table’, his ‘new special closet’
We had to ride the Al-e-gaaa-ter (escalator) up, and then look through the purses for mommy (editor’s note: don't get any ideas...).
Z took off for the mall entry, and we wound up at the main court. We had to ride the glass El-a-gaaa-ter (elevator) and look at the machine below.
Then- Zachary spotted the food court. ‘That’s where I eat lunch!” We toured around looking at every vendor. After pizza and Japanese didn’t thrill him, I spotted Bluebell. I said, ”That one has ice cream.” Without hesitation, Z ran up to the counter and ordered, “I want a scoop of chocolate ice cream pleeeeze.” He’s three. Geez.

(EATING ICE CREAM AT HIS "OFFICE")
After ice cream, we wandered through a couple of stores (sorry FootAction and Hot Topic) and made our way back to Dillard’s. Z picked out a gray on gray shirt for me (little scary how well he knows me [at 3]!)
As we were leaving Dillard’s, I asked, “Did you like your work?”
Zachary responded, “That’s not my work, that’s my office. THAT (Saks Fifth Avenue across the lot) is my work.” I guess we never caught the subtlety. If only he got the employee discounts…

2 comments:

  1. That is an adorable story. Patrick has gotten in the habit of asking me "So, Mom, did you do any work today?" when I pick himup from school. It cracks me up the little things they pick up on and try to work into their vernacular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hysterical!

    Let me know when the discount does kick in and if we can get "mates rates" (the British version of the friends and family discounts) so I can give Z an inventory list. ;o)

    ReplyDelete