Thursday, October 9, 2008

Zachary and his Little Girl


Part of me wants to air out my own neuroses and have some therapy about how we are scarring Zachary since the birth of his sister - how he doesn't get much play time, how he desperately wants our attention, and how the only things out of my mouth to him these days is "don't touch her" or "be gentle" or flat out "Zachary - DON'T!" But it seems that no one really seems to care that my son will be emotionally damaged by his parents since Rylee's arrival -- no they want to hear how he interacts with Rylee. So since this blog is supposed to be about the kids, I guess my guilt ridden tirade will have to wait.

He is the most loving adoring big brother. That is what you wanted to hear isn't it? I know it is. That is all anyone wants to hear. However in this case, it is absolutely 100% true.

He loves on Rylee so much and wants to touch and hug and feed and hold and play so much he can hardly contain himself. For awhile, Z referred to Rylee as his baby. In the early weeks, we let him hold her and give her a bottle but since we hover and limit his time, he decided that his beloved puppy was "mommy's sister" and decided to care for puppy like we did for Rylee. Yes, puppy wears a diaper that he changes (we have lost so many unused diapers because he throws puppy's diapers away in the real diaper pail!) and puppy sleeps in Rylee's crib to watch the "noble" (translate to mobile.) He also likes to feed puppy (forgive me Zachary for typing this -- promise to take it down before any of your friends can read!) by nursing (yep pulls up his shirt and everything) or bottle and has to pump to get milk for puppy. Chad wants to take a picture of Z pumping but I fear for when Z is older and the picture goes public.

These days he doesn't pump or change puppy's diaper (though the darn thing still wears one!) but Zachary is still just as loving despite Chad and I constantly on him about what he does with her.

I think once of the funniest and sweetest things he does is talk for her. It cracks me up and makes me go AAHHHH when he does it. He uses a high pitched falsetto voice and speaks for her as thought she is talking. For example, when I burp her and she belches like she shotgunned a Budweiser, Zachary will say in a high pitch fake voice "Excuse Me" or if I talk to Rylee and ask her a question "Are you ready for bed" or "Do you have a dirty diaper?" Zachary will answer for her. Sometimes she has stories to tell or sometimes it is a simple yes or no but it definitely needs to be captured on film. Too bad he has gotten so shy about the camera.

So I have followed his lead and make sure that she "tells" Zachary everyday that she loves him.

She is now his Little Girl. He and Chad go round and round because Chad calls her "Little One" and Zachary gets frustrated and says "No Daddy - it's Little Girl." He hardly even calls her Rylee anymore. The teachers at daycare (oh yeah - both kids are at TLC now - a long drama filled blog for another day) love that he talks to and about his Little Girl.

In the end, while I still feel there is some baggage we've handed to our son, he is truly a wonderful big brother. But knowing who he is, an amazing sweet loving boy, we aren't really that surprised.

1 comment:

  1. Z breastfeeding the puppy is priceless. I think you will regret not having a pic of that someday. And that he has a voice for Rylee. I can't wait till Thanksgiving so I can hear it!

    ReplyDelete