Monday, October 13, 2008

Christmas Cussing

My innocent sweet boy recently started using the word "Donner." All I could think of was the reindeer. I know he remembers Christmas and definitely knows who Santa is but could he really possibly remember Santa's reindeer.

So after a few more time of hearing him say "donner" I had to ask for clarification. I asked him what he was saying and he clearly stated " I am saying donner." I asked him what donner meant and he said "that I dropped something."

Confused about the mind of my three year old, I decided to let it go. I wasn't sure what to do with his statement so I said ok and left it at that. He apparently sensed my confusion and stopped me with "Mommy YOU say donner."

Now I can't decide if his imagination is at play here or is it that I am not getting it.

He continued "When you drop something Mommy you say donner." I looked at him for a few minutes and said "I do?"

He shook his head and said that I did. As I looked at him the preverbial light bulb went off in my head. I say "Darn it." He was copying me and my potty mouth (HA!) When I figured out what was going on, I knew I didn't want him saying donner. I recognize that darn it doesn't go down as the harshest of cursing but when a three year old says the phrase it just doesn't sound right.

So quick thinking Mommy said "Zachary I don't think you or I should say donner anymore. How about Oopsy Daisy?" I know! I know! A little too on the vanilla side but it sounds cute coming from him.

He agreed and a few days later sure enough he had a situation that required a cuss word and he said "I would say donner but now I say Oopsy Daisy."

I can put the bar of soap away for now.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE that you are vanilla. I only WISH I had your vanilla-ness with language. I know Paddy has heard some colorful language. I wish I was as strong as you ro curb mine and go for oopsie daisies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donner is not as bad as "ship"...and it took me a while to realize ITS true meaning. I swear it wasn't me. I guess there were a few college parties Joshua shouldn't have been at...hm?

    Oopsadaisy!

    ReplyDelete