Thursday, November 18, 2010

Listen to the Music

While I know someday I will miss the intensity with which my son loves me and wants to be with me, last week I was frustrated by it. I was going on an overnight trip to Chicago so I would see him Wednesday morning and pick him up from school Thursday afternoon. He started crying and was worried he wouldn't get to say good-bye. He didn't trust me. We had been going over this scenario for about ten minutes.

There we sit the two of us in the dark - he tucked in his bed after prayers crying and me sitting beside him tickling his back trying to find the words to assure him he would see me in the morning, we would talk Wed night from my hotel, and I would pick him up from school Thursday.

He tried to say something in his crying voice when I was distracted by an odd noise. Rylee sleeps with a humidifier on and I thought it was doing something. I made Zachary be quiet so I could figure out what exactly was the noise.

From Rylee's room we hear PPPBBBPPPPTTTT and PZZZZBSSSST -- Rylee is making raspberry noises or a Z declares "Tooting Noises." She is doing it to entertain herself -- she doesn't know we are listening -- and she is almost making a song out of it.

I try to keep a straight face and turn back to Z to address his concerns and he is trying his darnest not to break out into a full on laugh. He is covering his mouth and giggling. His trying to cover and her harmonic noises makes me giggle and soon Z and I are quietly laughing at the zerbert tune from the other room. All concern has left both of us -- soothed away by my daughter's melody.

I kiss Z on the forehead, tell him I will see him in the morning, and he blows me a kiss and while still chuckling at his little sister, says goodnight.

I smile as I go down the stairs -- I am lucky to have children with so much love and so much musical ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment