Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Words no parent ever wants to hear 1

(I am sure this will become a series)

This evening as we were finishing up supper, I was holding Rylee, MK was finishing her meal, and Zachary was squirming to get up. Finally, after squeezing a “May I please be excused” out of him, we let Z get up from the table to wash up. MK and I started our daily catch-up small talk when we hear the phrase that makes my blood run cold:

“Mommy and Daddy! The poddy is making a tewibble mess!”

MK and I look at each other horrified. I toss Rylee across the table and bolt for the bathroom. Sure enough, the toilet is overflowing and proceeding to fill the bathroom with a good ½ inch of water and micro bits of poo. Uck.
Z looked up at me with that innocent but vaguely smirking face. Dumbfounded, I somehow I managed to get the water off and the toilet plunged.
Was it too much toilet paper? Structural poo? We’ll never know. Z is not quite old enough to be malevolent, but I still couldn’t help being irritated. This is not how I wanted to spend my evening. Luckily it was bathtime, so MK wisked Z and Ry off to our bathroom while I mopped up the mess in theirs.
It wasn’t as bad as we thought, and all was soon good as er- used.
Upon her return, Mary Kate quips, “You always end up with the crappy jobs.”

EPILOGUE: The next morning, Z would flush the toilet and watch it go down. Flush the toilet and watch it go down. Flush the toilet and watch it go down... After every time, he would yell, " Daddy! It works a-gain!"

1 comment:

  1. Out of all the "uh-ohs" from Paddy, I've never (to date) had a "Paddy Potty uh-oh." Good for Chad for taking one for the team.

    ReplyDelete