Saturday, November 8, 2008

It's ALLLLL about MK

So this MartinRandomness blog is supposed to be about my children. Chad and I created it as an electronic baby book initially to capture stuff like Zachary is "X" inches tall or Rylee rolled over today. Then it occurred to us that we can document short stories that made us laugh or say "oh how sweet." In this venture into blogland, I became interested in others blogs. I follow five of them very closely. All five with different styles and focus.

Britta and Shelly's blogs are of the West Texas variety. Meaning they make me want to crack open a beer and catch up on their family. You feel their personalities through their writing - you sense how warm Britta is and what a firecracker Shelly is. You understand the scope of love they have for their sons. They are both so consistent about posting pictures and providing family updates. I check in with them almost daily for a quick hit of their charm and fun.

Stephanie and Michelle are my random bloggers. I assure you this is a compliment. They tend to write what is on their mind at the time - sometimes politics, sometimes the art of concrete mixing, sometimes the idiots at Sam's club or even Eddie Izzard. Sure their family is mentioned but it is not necessarily the focus. You get to know them by their opinions and observations of friends, family, and mankind. They articulate themselves in a way that is captivating and leaves you wanting more when the entry is finished. These are sassy witty women who keep it interesting.

And then there is Stuart. His blog is actually the inspiration for ours. He is keeping a record for his boys for the "Buck Rogers Future." I must tread lightly here for I feel I lean towards stalker when it comes to this blog. Stuart presents a very honest and open picture of not just his boys but of himself. It is so revealing and so personal you feel like you know the Tinsley Family. I feel like I was actually there for whatever event Stuart is describing. I laughed so hard (like milk out the nose laughing) at his entry called Hope Springs Eternal (I dare you to read it and not do the same!!) and I openly cried (snot, tears, and all) and had my heart break as I read about the death of his mother and the waves of aftershocks he continues to feel. His writing draws me in completely.

Now you are intrigued as to why I am providing this blog review. Other than taking a moment to let these wonderful amazing bloggers know how much I admire their writing, appreciate their sharing, and asking them to keep blogging the good stuff - these five unique individuals - actually six when you count my husband - have me thinking. Should this MartinRandomness blog contain more MK stories? (Chad too!) Should the entries branch out to topics on my brain? If I am (sorry - if we are) creating this blog for Zachary and Rylee's Buck Rogers future (credit Stuart Tinsley) will they want to see me too?

My memories of my mom and dad are parental ones - cheering at soccer games, making me do chores, that type of stuff. I have no clue what was important to them or worried them or amused them other than my brother and me. They weren't humans -- they were parents. I do have to say now that I am older and can appreciate them as people with thoughts and emotions outside of kids, I do wonder what it was like for them when they were my age.

So assuming in the future Z & Rylee are interested in the Chad and MK of 2008, the next question becomes am I willing to be that vulnerable? Can I allow myself to be truly honest like Stuart and my other blogging gurus? Will I expose my insecurities, flaws, and issues along side my passions and my loves? I would have to destroy any illusion my kids may have of me as June Cleaver. OK maybe that is a tad dramatic but that is me -- do I really want them to know that I am a drama queen?? What about the weird stuff I think about? Or my bizarre trains of thought?

My final quandary (love that word) is that unlike my favorite bloggers I do not have the same skill in storytelling. I ramble. It's ok to agree. I know it. Chad agrees too. I go on and on and on etc. If you look at the five blogs I admire you will notice they are concise and not lengthy without getting to the point. I mean how long has it taken you to get through this entry?

Additionally, unlike my blogging cohorts or my husband, I am not really a great writer. You get a sense about them from their writing while mine does not provide the reader with an picture of me that has depth or dimension.

So by posting this entry I guess I have my answers:

1. I will assume the kids will be interested in peeking at their parents and how
they were in 2008
2. I just won't reveal all of my wonky ways and kooky thoughts
3. Let's just hope practice makes perfect and I'll eventually keep blog entries
under 300 words.

I guess this means be on the look out for more Deep Thoughts by MK and Chad. Besides, if I change my mind I can always hit delete!!

4 comments:

  1. I've always loved your writing. I am mostly taking about cards or your email response to my prayer requests. But I do love your writing because you always know the right thing to say to make me smile and feel whole again. I can't wait to read more on the Martin Randomness blog. And i think Z and Rylee will too one day. See you in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You underestimate yourself. This is not an english class but an opportunity to capture a moment in time. When Jackson turns 2, the blog up to that point will be turned int a book. http://www.blurb.com/book/blogbook?ce=google_blog&gclid=CJvxtO7IgpYCFQIWFQod8lGGEg

    We love your randomness, we love your rambling, and so will your children. You said so yourself, it's who you are,it does give you depth and character and a whitty style of writing.

    Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I'm glad you began blogging because it gave me a chance to "stalk you online"! :o) Not in a creepy way, I just feel like I'm missing out on so much being here and y'all are there. This way I can read about and look at pictures of your little ones as they grow and morph into smaller versions of MK and Chad.

    Having said that, I'm so much more excited to see that you're adding more of YOU (both!) to the mix. Britta's right, your writing always shows your emotional connection and your absolute TALENT at knowing just the right things to say...and to get into Chad's head every once in a while is a treat, too! I've always wanted to know what happens in there!

    There's a reason why I follow this blog...and a reason why I link it from mine! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say that it ought to be ALLLL about MK!!

    While I'm thrilled to be in your blog review, I'm certain you were talking about the other writers when you mentioned short, sweet, and to the point. Mine often fall far short of that!

    Your writing is TERRIFIC. Reading it is like having a conversation with you. It never feels contrived or scripted. It is what it is - a point in time snapshot of your stream of consiousness.

    Put your words down forever, friend, because who knows when we will be taken from this world. What you leave for them now will be here for them to read two years from now, or 20, or 60.

    You owe it to your children's history (because it will be that someday) to use your own voice. That just makes it all the more real for them and to them.

    ReplyDelete