Monday, April 19, 2010

Raising Couch Potatoes

I read somewhere (I am thinking Newsweek) that we shouldn’t give today’s parents such a hard time about letting the TV babysit their children. The writer said that while growing up his mother made him go outside all day long to play unsupervised in the neighborhood. Essentially she was letting the outside babysit him. The writer continued by commenting no parent these days will say “Go run around the outside all day without any supervision” because of the ugly things that exist today.

I do remember living in NJ and mom letting me run around outside without her. My only real rule was I had to stay within the col-de-sac. We moved when I was five so I was younger than Z when I ran around with my friends.

I also know I had tons of freedom in Broken Arrow – riding bikes, running from friend’s house to friend’s house, going to the pool – all with out supervision.

To summarize, according to the writer parents of the good old days were just as guilty as us parents of the here and now about letting their children be “babysat” while the parental units try to get something done around the house.

Do you think they felt as guilty?

No comments:

Post a Comment