Friday, January 9, 2009

So I will remember when...

This post is for documentation – no punch line at the end…I just want to remember these days.

On Sunday (Jan 4) Rylee started sitting up almost by herself, and then on Monday she was definitely up 15+ seconds. If she leaned forward or backward, she could upright herself like a weeble-wobble however if she tipped right or left she was down for the count.

Then last night when I came home Chad had me run to her room to watch her flip over from her back. She isn’t quite making it all the way but her shoulders and one leg (yes awkward) roll over. Soon enough she’ll be tossing and turning in addition to that leg thumping thing she does at night.

She has had a runny nose (clear snot) for over four weeks now. If I am done with her snot bubbles, heavy panting, and inability to breathe out her nose, I can’t imagine how she is feeling. This nose situation in addition to a scary little cough and an outbreak of RSV at school had me taking her to the doctor on Monday. Apparently she has a cold so we will have to just wait out the snotty nose. But I ask you does a child’s snotty nose really ever run out?

At this same appointment, Dr. Berger asked about the rash that was all over her body. I had noticed the rash and assumed it was eczema because I had been REALLY bad about watching my dairy intake over the holiday (it’s cranberry bliss season people! Who really has the strength to say no to that goodness?!?!!) I had been suffering the guilt only a mother can feel when her lack of willpower causes her sweet innocent baby such ugly harm. Dr. Berger came to my rescue in a sort of twisted way. She said it looked like a strep rash (didn’t even know strep had a rash!) and tested little Ms. R. Sure enough it was strep and even better it's treatable!! After one dose of antibiotics, her rash had faded and by the third dose it was gone completely. Now if that runny nose would just disappear too.

Sunday night I had the greatest time with Zachary. We sat on Chad and I’s bed and he made me “gorgeous.” He took hair brushes, combs, clips, make up brushes, foundation sponges, and eye makeup and he fluffed and patted and yanked and brushed for at least 20 minutes making me “gorgeous.” And that is his word – gorgeous. Chad says it is from a robot in the Wall-E movie. He tries to say it with a bit of an east coast accent along with “I'm good honey – I'm good” also in this strange east coast sounding accent. I would have busted out laughing if I weren’t enjoying all of this attention. He kept saying – “Mommy it takes a lot to make you gorgeous or we still aren’t done-you are not gorgeous yet” – while sounding like backhanded comments to a random observer they were sweet lovely words for a mom being pampered by her son. So on Wednesday after he got his haircut and was sitting in the chair, I said “you look gorgeous.” My little man was mortified. He shook his head and said “No Mommy. Please don’t say that to me.” Was this my first (as I know there will be thousands more) time for embarrassing my son in public?? He is definitely growing up too fast for me to keep up with. He moved to the next room at school – he is PreK 1 with the other four year olds. But he isn’t four! At least not for 39 more days…did I mention it is moving fast?

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet mother and son story. Maybe I'll see if Patrick wants to "make me gorgeous" tonight. I'll let cha know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That reminds me of a time I got "dolled up" for a special event. Make-up. Nice clothes. Jewelry. Perfume. THE WORKS. Not the usual ponytail, bare-faced, t-shirt-and-jeans outfit.

    I came out of primping central, aka the bathroom, and Joshua was wide-eyed, still innocent, all of 5 years old and said, all breathy-like,"Momma...you're BEAUTIFUL!"

    I think we were BOTH in shock that I had scrubbed up! It had been sooooo long.

    It's a shame that he doesn't get to see that side of me often. LOL

    ReplyDelete