Friday, April 11, 2008

Two Bits of Randomness

Bit 1.
Wish I could type how Z pronounces some words -- they are wonderfulness and I'll forget over time...like jelly balls (aka jelly beans), strewbrrrrries (strawberries -- he says brr like he is cold), gulls (girls), I can't want do (I don't want to), for tomorrow or for later (how he procrastinates), tunder (thunder), and all of this with a hint of a baby lisp that is slowly fading. Chad needs to add some here too...I know he like the "I can't want to" as in "I can't want to brush my teeth."

Bit 2.
We did go to the park earlier this week and there were some eleven-ish year old girls playing on the swing set. They were just laying on the slide or climbing up it backwards as Zachary stood there waiting so patiently for his turn. I finally said very loudly - Zachary just say excuse me please - -which he did and the girls with attitude climbed up the slide - made him move out of the way so they could exit at the top of the slide before he could go down.

WHAT THE HECK? I was so irritated. In those few moments, I question everything I am doing as a parent. Am I not teaching Zachary to stand up for himself? Will he be a push over? But I don't want him acting like these girls and who were not courteous or polite -- he is three for gosh sake and they are 11 -- can they not move for one minute to let him slide down the slide??? REALLY?? What is the balance -- how do you teach assertive but not cross to aggressive? I want him to be confident but not arrogant. I was so angry with these girls and their 'tudes. Yep I became old in that moment - young whippersnappers with no respect. And completely concerned with raising Zachary. Those darn girls!!! I was having a pleasant day in the park with my son (who by the way when he got off his bike (aka push trike) at the park announce "Fergus to the rescue") and thoroughly having a good time when five tween girls' behavior ignited an internal battle.

Watching Z have such fun and talking up a storm to these girls who were completely ignoring him (annoying me even more!) should have calmed me but didn't. Though he did completely light up my heart when one of the girls slipped on the stairs up to the slide but she got up and went along to the top, Zachary stopped at his landing where he was climbing watched her and then clapped when she got up to the top and yelled to her "You did it -- good job!"

I just LOVE that boy...

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite sayings is, "I can't want to!" I've been saying it longer than Z...but...I'll let him adopt it!

    As for the tweens...UGH! I understand your frustration and must remind you that they probably don't have as wonderful a mother as you. Good on Z for cheering her after her slip, that's what makes a "good kid"...and for that you should be proud!

    ReplyDelete