Tuesday, June 3, 2014

That's Nobody's Business But the Turks!

Way back in Nov of 2011 the Roman Catholic Church changed some wording in the liturgy to bring us back closer to our Latin roots.  As a cradle Catholic, I have been saying the exact same phrases and responses for 40 years combined that with my fear of change and I was in a full blown fury and looking for a fight (which is the Christian way to resolve conflict right?).

The changes were not dramatic exactly.  Some were so minor:

OLD: And with you
NEW: And with your spirit
OLD: Cup
NEW: Chalice

???? Um ok…sure.  That is certainly worth redoing.

Some made me flip my lid:

Talking about Jesus’ blood:
OLD:  It will be shed for you and for all
NEW:  Which will be poured out for you and for many

EXCUSE ME?  I am pretty sure that Jesus died for ALL OF US!!  Who are these many?  Who isn’t part of the group that Jesus is saving?  I can’t decide if I am bothered more by the inclusion of this line or the fact that more of my Catholic friends aren’t disturbed by this!

And final the one that pushed me over the edge:

OLD: One in being with the Father
NEW: Consubstantial with the Father

Consubstantial?  Are you serious?  Let’s just make sure NO ONE gets it – lets add another layer between a sharing participating community and the Catholic Mass.  When I hear that word during mass, They Might Be Giants runs through my head over and over.

They Might Be Giants

I was a snarky bitchy mess for a while—perfect for going to church don’t you think?  Chad asked if we need to change Churches and by that he didn’t mean leave Prince of Peace for St. Francis. He meant did I need to find a new religion (anyone now humming REM?)  I seriously contemplated it.  I struggle with the Catholic view on gay marriage and women & married priests and a host (see what I did there?) of other items.  My Catholic faith and what I feel is right in my heart and brain are usually battling on some seriously sticky topics. With these new Latin like changes, it seemed that maybe that this was the proverbial straw and my time was over in the Catholic faith.

I had dinner with some Catholic friends of mine and I was whining and complaining about these changes.  My friend Karla looked at me and told me her priest said (my hazy memory paraphrase) “after Vatican II there were all sorts of Catholic up in arms about the changes.  But the changes were happening whether or not they were on board.  So you can fuss and pout and be one like one of those women with a doily on her head (he didn’t say that but that is who I pictured) that kneeled in the back of the church and prayed the rosary during mass praying for the future of the Church but suck it up buttercup (again my words) the changes were happening.”

I do have to say that I felt like I had just been bitchslapped with a simultaneous “Snap Out of It” yelled at me.

Fair enough – I don’t want to be the doily lady.  And if I choose to leave the Catholic Faith it needs to be because I cannot reconcile what I believe to be true and what the Church is professing not because of some changes in wording.

But just so we are clear, during every mass I still have They Might Be Giants running through my head in the midst of the Nicene Creed.

No comments:

Post a Comment