Wednesday, June 11, 2014

If Only They Could Hear Me

This morning on the radio the DJs were discussing the most recent school shooting in Oregon.  Twitter and Facebook are blowing up with map that shows the locations of the 74 school shootings that have happened in the 18 months since Sandy Hook.  The DJs were taking calls to from listeners on their thoughts on why it happened.  There were topics such as:
  • Because we need to confront mental illness and take away the stigma
  • Because we let our kids play video games and they are desensitized
  • Because we need tighter restrictions on assault weapons
I do not have the answer – I truly wish I did.  But don’t you worry I have opinions!

I do believe that mental illness needs to be brought out into the open and take away the shame that comes with diagnosis and treatment.  I do think our kids get desensitized by video games and are forced into mature situations to early but I still let my kids play Xbox. 

Gun control?  Yikes I am not sure how I feel – I do not like guns.  Chad says that it is because I am uneducated about them and they scare me - which is true.  I do not think they are necessary for you to carry on a daily basis unless you are a solider in a warzone and certainly not into a Chipotle.  I guess on some level I do understand wanting to protect your home and family and keeping that right to own a gun.  I also married a man who knows how to hunt and wants to pass that on to our son. So where to balance owning guns for hunting and home invasion protection vs. carrying a weapon in to your workplace or a restaurant because you can – no idea.

Some schools have allowed armed teachers and some people want universities to allow students to carry guns on campus.  Really?  Let’s let the 18 year old that potentially is still drunk from last night carry a fire arm into a lecture hall.  When the latest Fort Hood shooting happened, I turned to Chad and said if a military base FULL of armed people still had this happen why do they think letting college kids carry weapons will keep campuses safer?????

However, out of all these 74 school shootings, or Sandy Hook, or even the horrible shootings at Ft. Hood and the recent Vegas police killings, I don’t know that any of the guns were obtained illegally or  that gun regulations truly would have made a difference.  The kids that did the killing “borrowed” from their parents and I am sure the parents obtained them legally.  I am sure the parents also kept them locked up and followed proper protocol but these kids were old enough to know where they were kept and how to work them.

This post was actually inspired by the fourth comment I heard on the radio:
  • These school shootings are because of the “wussification” of parents.  If parents were able to punish their kids without being accused of child abuse none of this would happen.
I became thoroughly unglued in the car.  I shouted at the radio – at the caller – at the DJs for not countering this point and I am sure my fellow commuters worried I was a little disturbed.  I yelled “Yes let’s use violence on our kids to show them that violence won’t help them solve their problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”  Are you KIDDING?????  Beating your kid – ok that is extreme - but even spanking your kid will solve school shootings??  Don’t you think that when your kid does something wrong and you use corporal punishment to hold them accountable that this act will translate to when your kid is being bullied then the bully needs to be punished?

I am all about holding my kids accountable for their actions and behaviors.  If they make a bad decision then they have a consequence – take away electronics or not allow a play date – heck I am not above removing the door off the hinges when they are teens if need be. But I don’t see how hitting my children can really help any situation.  Teaching them to what to do if bullied or how to channel anger or keeping an eye on their mental health might be better approaches don't you think???

I was thinking I should call in and provide a rebuttal but the moment had passed and there was a new caller.  So I screamed at my radio but I did not get any satisfaction so I changed the station.  I really showed them huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment